The winners of the IgNobel prizes were announced this week during a ceremony at Harvard University. This marked the 22nd year that the world’s most improbable research was celebrated in hilarious prize form. They are even presented by actual Nobel Prize winners!
Here are some of this year’s highlights:
- Psychology: “Leaning to the left makes the Eiffel Tower seem smaller”
- Peace Prize: Conversion of old Russian ammunition into diamonds
- Neuroscience: Demonstrations of the limitations of fMRI analysis, AKA “Brainwaves in a Dead Salmon”
- Literature: The U.S. Government General Accountability Office for producing their report calling for reports on the cost of reports.
- Fluid Dynamics: For study of the unique spilly-sloshing that occurs when a cup of coffee is carried while walking.
Full list here. Scicurious is digging into the awards in detail on her blog.